Victoza® lowers blood sugar levels
If you are struggling to lower your blood sugar to get to goal on your current therapy, Victoza® may be able to help. Victoza® is a non-insulin, injectable, once-a-day diabetes medication that lowers blood sugar in adults and children 10 years of age and older with type 2 diabetes in several ways.
Victoza® lowers A1C
In medical studies of adults with type 2 diabetes, many of those taking Victoza® were able to reach the American Diabetes Association's A1C goal of less than 7.0%. (The A1C test measures your average blood sugar level over the previous 2 to 3 months.) Victoza® helps lower blood sugar for most nonpregnant adults in as soon as 2 weeks, and has been shown to keep it down in a 2-year medical study.
Victoza® 1.8 mg taken alone or in combination with other diabetes medications lowered A1C in adults by 1.0% to 1.5%, on average, in medical studies. That's good to know, because even a 1% drop in A1C can be important in the management of type 2 diabetes.
Victoza® works in 3 ways to lower blood sugar levels
Victoza® works like the hormone GLP-1 (7-37)a to:
- Slow food leaving your stomach
- Help prevent your liver from making too much sugar
- Help the pancreas produce more insulin when your blood sugar levels are high
aGLP-1 (7-37) represents <20% of the total circulating GLP-1 produced by your body.
While not a weight-loss product, Victoza® may help adults lose some weight
In clinical studies of adults with type 2 diabetes, ranging from 26 to 52 weeks in length, many lost some weight. In a large study, when Victoza® was added to metformin, adults lost on average up to 6.2 pounds. While many adults in clinical trials lost weight, some did gain weight. The American Diabetes Association recommends weight loss as an important goal for overweight people with type 2 diabetes.
The makers of Victoza® have another non-insulin option for adults with type 2 diabetes.
Click to learn more, then ask your health care provider if this option could help lower your blood sugar.
Whether you’re new to Victoza® or have been taking it for some time, Novo Nordisk offers patient support programs and support tools that can help you start off right and stay on track with managing your diabetes.
- A personalized learning and action plan based on your type 2 diabetes goals that provides the right information at the right time to help you with your diabetes care.
- Follow-up calls from a Certified Diabetes Educator that provide more of the support you need.
- Online coaching sessions on topics that matter to you, like How to Read Food Labels.
- Tools to track your progress as you start to make healthy changes.
- Support along the way, including tips, reminders, and motivation.