Making physical activity a part of your diabetes care
To help manage your type 2 diabetes, it’s important to make physical activity part of your routine. Regular activity can help prevent health problems, help keep your weight down, and help insulin work better to lower your blood sugar.
What kinds of things should you do to stay active?
Choose activities that work for you and your diabetes care plan so that you’ll stick with them. If you can find activities you like, you’ll have fun while being active.
If you’re not used to being physically active, start slow and easy. Try walking the dog, or spending some time in the garden. Once you feel more comfortable, you can try different activities, like joining a group class.
Talk to your diabetes care team about ways that you can be more active every day. And always talk to your doctor before starting any kind of fitness routine.
Here are some ways to be more active every day
- Park your car a little farther away from where you’re going, and walk the rest of the way
- Take several short walks during the day
- Lift small weights while talking on the phone
- Wash your car or tend to your garden
- Swim or take an aerobics class