Indications and Usage
What is NovoLog® Mix 70/30 (insulin aspart protamine and insulin aspart injectable suspension) 100 U/mL?
- NovoLog® Mix 70/30 is a man-made insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults with diabetes mellitus.
- It is not known if NovoLog® Mix 70/30 is safe or effective in children.
Important Safety Information
Do not share your NovoLog® Mix 70/30 FlexPen® with other people, even if the needle has been changed. You may give other people a serious infection, or get a serious infection from them.
Who should not take NovoLog® Mix 70/30?
Do not take NovoLog® Mix 70/30 if:
- your blood sugar is too low (hypoglycemia) or you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Before taking NovoLog® Mix 70/30, tell your healthcare provider about all your medical conditions including, if you are:
- pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
- taking new prescription or over-the-counter medicines, including supplements.
Talk to your health care provider about how to manage low blood sugar.
How should I take NovoLog® Mix 70/30?
- Read the Instructions for Use and take exactly as directed.
- NovoLog® Mix 70/30 starts acting fast. If you have type 1 diabetes, inject within 15 minutes before you eat a meal. If you have type 2 diabetes, inject within 15 minutes before or after starting your meal.
- Do not mix NovoLog® Mix 70/30 with other insulin products or use in an insulin pump.
- Know the type and strength of your insulin. Do not change your insulin type unless your health care provider tells you to.
- Check your blood sugar levels. Ask your health care provider what your blood sugar levels should be and when you should check them.
- Do not reuse or share your needles or syringes with other people. You may give other people a serious infection, or get a serious infection from them.
What should I avoid while taking NovoLog® Mix 70/30?
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery, until you know how NovoLog® Mix 70/30 affects you.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that contain alcohol.
What are the possible side effects of NovoLog® Mix 70/30?
Serious side effects can lead to death, including:
Low blood sugar. Some signs and symptoms include:
- anxiety, irritability, mood changes, dizziness, sweating, confusion, and headache.
Your insulin dose may need to change because of:
- weight gain or loss, increased stress, illness, or change in diet or level of physical activity.
Other common side effects may include:
- low potassium in your blood, injection site reactions, itching, rash, serious whole body allergic reactions, skin thickening or pits at the injection site, weight gain, and swelling of your hands and feet and if taken with thiazolidinediones (TZDs), possible heart failure.
Get emergency medical help if you have:
- trouble breathing, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, swelling of your face, tongue, or throat, sweating, extreme drowsiness, dizziness, or confusion.
Please click here for NovoLog® Mix 70/30 Prescribing Information.